WINCHESTER, Va. The Shenandoah University men's lacrosse team opened up its 2019 season with a 14-8 loss to the University of Mary Washington Friday night.
Mary Washington (1-1) got out to an early 3-0 lead after the first quarter that the Hornets (0-1) weren't able to overcome.
HOW IT HAPPENED
A strong UMW third quarter kept SU at an arm's-length, keeping at least a four-goal lead for the rest of the night.
Shenandoah outscored Mary Washington 4-2 in the final stanza but ran out of time to complete a comeback.
Chris White recorded seven goals for the visiting Eagles.
SU BY THE NUMBERS
- Chris Baker led SU in scoring with four goals.
- Freshman Zachary Heiderman recorded his first collegiate goal in the fourth quarter.
- Ryan Schott, Orlando Levins and Michael Brooks all added one goal each.
- Ryan Endress and Jason Morgan recorded six and five ground balls, respectively.
- Michael Buetel made 19 stops in the cage for the Hornets.
- The Eagles own the series record 4-0.
The Hornets travel to Marymount with a 3 p.m. faceoff on Saturday, February 23.